A Sweet Delight from Turkey – Baklava
Wanna try something new? How about a dessert from the Middle East? This sweet dish is not only delicious but extremely easy to make. With lots of dry nuts, everyone falls in love with Baklava instantly. Made with phyllo sheets (if not available, you can make your own with all-purpose flour), layer as directed, just bake it and make it.
- 1 lb chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds, walnuts)
- 1 lb phyllo dough (Scroll down for the procedure)
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cloves
How to make Phyllo Sheets at home for Baklava?
- 2.5 all-purpose flour
- ¼ table salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Combine flour, salt and vegetable oil. Mix well before pouring water. Knead it till you get a soft dough. Keep it aside for 90 minutes. Roll them into thin sheets, as thin as possible. Every sheet should look translucent.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Ground pistachios for garnish (optional)
- Set oven at 350°F, meanwhile grease the pan.
- Cut all the nuts into even sized pieces. Add cloves, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Take phyllo sheets. Cut them to fit into your pan.
- Take a phyllo sheet and place it in the pan. With a pastry brush, apply butter to every sheet till it becomes 10-15 sheet thick
- Now add a thin layer of almonds, walnuts, and pistachios. one by one separated by at least 2 phyllo sheets
- Now layer it with the remaining phyllo sheets (10-15). Apply butter to every sheet
- Take a sharp knife and cut them into diamond shapes
- Now start making the syrup. Add sugar, cinnamon stick, lemon and water to a saucepan. Boil it until the syrup thickens up slightly.
- Remove cinnamon stick from the syrup. Let it cool down.
- Pour the syrup over baked baklava
- Allow the baklava to cool down
Once the Baklava has cooled down, add pistachios generously and serve. Your friends and family will love this new ‘Turkish’ dessert.