Five Saffron Recipes That Are Great For Winters
In our previous post, we discussed about Saffron and its Health Benefits. Today we bring to you how it can be introduced in your cooking. When used in recipes, Saffron gives a golden yellow colour and a distinctive taste that cannot be achieved through other spices. You can either use saffron threads or powder without pre-soaking or toasting it. Saffron dissolves easily into the food and lends even flavour to the entire dish.
Now that you know numerous benefits of saffron, don’t let the price of this amazing spice stop you from using it in some delicious recipes. KittyBee brings to you a platter full of culinary delights made with Saffron to mesmerize your taste buds and give a dose of good health.
- Butter – ½ cup
- Diced Onion – ¼ cup
- Saffron Threads – a pinch
- Water – 2 cups
- Rice – 1 cup
- In a deep bottom pan add butter and heat on medium flame
- Add onion and cook until golden brown
- Now add rice, wateralong with saffron threads and mix well
- Cook until the water is absorbed.
- Serve hot!
Fried Cauliflower With Saffron
- Cauliflower – 1 (cut in small pieces)
- Ghee/oil – 5 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves (finely chopped)
- Ginger – cut into thin strips
- Cumin – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilies – 2
- Saffron- a pinch
- Salt to taste
Let’s Get Started
- Add cauliflower in salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then drain.
- In a large frying pan, pour ghee/oil and fry saffronalong with garlic, ginger, cumin and chilies for a few minutes.
- Now, add cauliflower and fry it gently for 10 minutes.
- It is ready to be served, season with salt and black pepper.
Almond Saffron Milkshake
- 4-5 Almonds
- Flax Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Saffron Strands – a pinch
- Milk – 1 ½ cup
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- 2 Walnuts
- In a blender, grind almonds, walnuts and flax seeds.
- Now add milk, honey, saffron and mix well.
- Garnish with a few strands of saffron, crushed almonds and walnuts.
- It is ready to serve!
These saffron recipes are great for growing kids too.
Moroccan Saffron Chicken
- Whole chicken – Cut in pieces
- 1 onion (diced)
- Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Turmeric – 1 tbsp
- Saffron – 1 tbsp
- Butter – ¼ cup
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- In a small dish place all the spices (except cinnamon sticks), mix well and keep it aside.
- Take a deep bottom pan, add onions and drizzle oil on it. Now, pour in the butter and place cinnamon sticks on the top.
- Next place the piece of chicken on top of onion mixture and poke it with a sharp knife. This way all the flavours will seep into it.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the chicken and cook on low flame for 1 hour or until the chicken is tender.
Sweet Saffron Yogurt
- Yogurt – 500 gm
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – according to taste
- green cardamom – ¼ tbsp
- Finely chopped almonds – 3 tbsp
- Saffron – a pinch
- In a large sieve, place a cotton cloth and pour the yogurt. Place it over a large bowl and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Heat saffronin a pan for 20 seconds, add milk and simmer until it is reduced to 1 tbsp.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dispose the liquid at the bottom of the yogurt bowl. Wipe the bowl and add yogurt, sugar, saffron milk, cardamom, almonds and mix well.
- Serve chilled
These saffron recipes are not only easy to make but also offers additional benefits. If you too have special saffron recipes, don’t forget to share it with us in the comments section below.